Friday 26 October 2012

Father and son birthday

After looking at the success of making simple shaped cakes, I thought it was time to up the challenge and make a 3D shaped cake. 3D cakes look very realistic and more appealing, however they are tough to make even more so for eggless ones. But I was ready to give it a shot and decided to make a 3D CAR CAKE for my next order.


'7' in the front showing seventh birthday

I planned & started shopping a week before. It was the very first 3D cake, so I was a bit tense and anxious about the risk I have taken. I researched many web sites and watched You Tube demonstrations. Normally I start baking a couple of days before delivery but this time I started 3 days prior to the birthday as I was not sure. I baked my cake in car shape pan but it went totally wrong. The cake became dry, overcooked & little burnt from all the sides and was totally uncooked in the middle I threw away whole 3 KG car cake!!

I was upset and tense about the wastage and 1 day delay. On that night I was disturbed and was thinking whether to take another chance or say No to the order. I prayed to Gurudev Kakaji (Divine Master) and decided to start from scratch again. 

The next evening after tiring office hours I baked the simple square shape, 2 -3 cakes again and by blessings all turned perfectly moist and soft as I wanted. I made the 4 tyres of the cake which were simply kids’ favourite Oreo biscuits covered in black fondant. I was then happy and excited to decorate. Now another two challenging tasks ahead were to carve the car shape and covering the shape with the fondant icing. The day before early morning I started arranging the cakes and decide to carve the shape of Lightning McQueen car from ‘CARS’ animated movie.





By afternoon I carved the car shape and filled the 3 layers with cream. Then covered the cake with satin red colour fondant icing. I decorated the cake by carefully observing images of Lightning McQueen. The colours chosen were special favourites of the Birthday boy!




I baked around 16 mini cup cakes especially in red foil cups which were going well with the big red car cake. I decided to decorate with the cupcakes with colourful cars which support the big 3D cake as well as to make all party kids happy with his/her own car at the end.
It took around 10-12 hours to complete this car cake and cup cakes project. 

Everyone enjoyed the cake!!


No comments:

Post a Comment